Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Small Town Living

Arlene S. Bice's Blog
Subject: Small Town Living 23 August 2005
Today is one of those perfect summer days. Low humidity, temperature in the low 80s. So instead of hiding out in my air-conditioned office all afternoon, I took a walk to the post office a block away. Just for exercise, an excuse to leave my precious PC. As I'm strolling down the tree-lined street, I heard my name being called by my friend Patti. The day is so perfect she decided to just ride around town on her bike. We headed for Katie's Café to sit out on the sidewalk, have a milk shake and say 'hello' to everyone else enjoying this beautiful day. Within 15 minutes Bobbie joined us, then another couple whose names I don't even know. But who needs a name to share a pleasant hour.
That's part of small-town living. Especially in the business district, which is often just a main street running through the center. Strangers walking in the town full of colorful Victorian and Colonial buildings for the first time get a 'hello' from someone they don't know. Often this stuns them. People today are not used to friendliness. Sometimes not even from their neighbors, let alone from total strangers. Bordentown City welcomes its' visitors with cordiality. It's a town that has always enchanted its' visitors. Many came for a holiday and returned to stay.
***************************************************************************************

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Arlene, I like your first blog. What a nice little town you must live in. Tell us more. We'll watch for your future messages with interest.