Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Crocus

The winter in the Macon area of NC cannot be compared to NJ winters. Heavy snow fell from the sky here on February 12, too. But none of it lay on top of the ground. A few days later I woke at 6:30 am to the landscape covered with two inches of snow. By ten o’clock in the morning there wasn’t a snowflake to be seen.

A few days later still, I took an hour to stroll around Warrenton absorbing the beautiful historic homes into my mind’s eye. I took time to sketch some of these lovely trees, naked without their leaves but showing the beauty of what lies underneath the leaves of spring, summer and autumn. Then I came upon a front yard with hundreds of lavender and white crocus in bloom. I stopped short, stunned. The flowers were wide open like tiny little mouths waiting to be fed. A breathtaking sight to be sure. And a reassuring one telling us nature is laying the groundwork for the spring soon coming to us.

No comments: