Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Virginia Festival of the Book

This past weekend presented a first experience for me, the 12th Annual Virginia Festival of the Book in Charlottesville, VA. Even though I checked out their website for the event, I was not prepared for the excitement of the full scheduled selections of each day and into night. Panels of authors in all genres were offered. There were too many to mention here. You can find all the information at: http://www.vabook.org/

My friend, poet Hilda Ward alerted me to this adventure months in advance, graciously inviting me to stay with her. Hilda introduced me to authors, poets, publishers, volunteers and the folks who produced this smoothly run happening. I am immensely grateful for her hospitality.

Sunday night as a closing for the Festival, David Baldacci hosted friends Barbara Kingsolver and John McCutcheon appearing on stage together for the first time. She read some of her deeply moving poetry in a bid for peace. John joined her with his music. It was a very fitting ending, calming the excitement with a plea to end this war.

I bought a tall stack of books at the Fest, but was still delighted to visit a couple of used books shops in the neighborhood.

No comments: