Thursday, April 20, 2006

Tomato Pie

During our Warrenton Women Writers session last night, our assignment was to write about a decade of our life. This pertained to last month’s exercise of writing about a favorite house we lived in sometime in our life. I chose 1945 to 1955. Included in my piece was the Saturday night special for my brother and I. We were treated to a tomato pie and allowed to stay up to watch “Midwestern Hayride.”

Eyebrows shot up when I read my piece. Silly smiles on their faces asking “What’s a tomato pie?” They immediately told me of their instant imaginations of what it could be. Sliced tomatoes between two layers of pie crust? Hunks of tomatoes wrapped up in a pie crust? Ugh, was their first reaction.

We all laughed when I explained this earlier creation of pizza. It was a thin crust with crushed tomatoes on it rather than the tomato sauce used on pizza. I still remember Papa’s Tomato Pies on Chambers Street in the Italian section of Trenton called Chambersburg. Wonderful memories. Writing brings them all back again.

1 comment:

BeaK. said...

Hi Arlene,

I am really loving your blogs! I too remember "Tomato Pie".....I grew up in the early 50's on a farm.

Thanks for the memory!

Bea Kunz
http://www.sagehillfarmsandvintagestore.com