Saturday, December 30, 2006

Bizarre Happening

For the end of the year I report a bizarre happening to me. This is an extreme event that is hard to believe but true. I’m not an athletic person but have played baseball, football and soccer as a youth. I ran and walked for daily exercise for the past 15 years and now ride a stationary bike nearly everyday to keep up bone density, strength, etc.

Yesterday while sitting in a wing-backed chair reading a smallish size book, “A Mapmaker’s Dream” Meditations of Fra Mauro, Cartographer of the Court of Venice, by James Cowan I sprained my wrist! I was holding the book in my left hand, thumb on the inside, next three fingers on the outside and pinkie on the inside opposite page. Try it. Since the book is new and 7” X 5” I applied quick pressure to open the pages wider to read along the crease easier. Yipes! I pulled some kind of muscle or delicate vein or something that now gives me great pain at the slightest wrong movement. Bizarro!
Of course I wrapped it. Can you imagine trying to explain to a doctor how I sprained my wrist?

No comments: