Wednesday, August 01, 2007

How it Works

If you know me at all, you’re used to hearing (probably tired of it) me talk about synchronicity. Today after my morning walk, I sat on the picnic table at the beach to journal. I was lost in thought in this peaceful time when I heard, “Miss, Miss.”

Anyone calling me ‘miss’ deserves my attention.

I looked around to see two folks, car door open seeking to ask a question. White slavers never entered my mind. One look and they would know it was a losing proposition-for them. An anxious looking woman continued, “have you seen a medium-sized black dog with a red collar? She’s very friendly. Dixie is her name. We’re down here in the Estates on vacation when a thunderbolt from the storm the other day startled her and the grandkids kinda let her get out.”

She took a much-needed deep breath. I could see she was upset. By this time I was up next to their car, leaving my journal back on the table with my water bottle. It wasn’t the black dog chasing me the other day. That was plain right away. We spoke a few minutes more. I then wrote her telephone number down on my shirt. (Good memory, but very short.)

Three hours later while I’m up to my elbows in canning tomato sauce, Laura calls me to ask if I can help a friend who found a black dog hanging around her house in the Estates for the last few days. “Red collar?” I burst out. “I have the owners’ telephone number right here.”

I think she stuttered before saying, “really?”

Synchronicity strikes again, just like Batman used to do! Or was that Wonder Woman?

No comments: