Friday, August 01, 2008

Heritage

The New York City chef-turned-writer-turned-TV personality of “No Reservations” Anthony Bordain traveled to Uruguay taking his brother Chris along with him. Anthony was, typically, in search of his passion-local foods. His brother Chris enjoyed eating foods he never tasted before but was really in search of their ancestors. Not in body form but records of their life there back in the mid 1800s.

While Chris has a passion for genealogy, Anthony could care less. Is it always this way in families? Being a passionate genealogist myself makes me totally amazed that neither one of my brothers could care a hoot about who came before us. They harbor no thirst for who descended their traits or physical attributes to them.

It’s even more curious to me because I never knew any of my grandparents. I barely knew my aunts and uncles. A couple I’d only met once. My father died young. No family stories trickled down except one or two from my mother’s childhood.
All these un-answered questions, mysteries and secrets tickle my investigative gene. I gotta know!

No comments: