Thursday, September 18, 2008

Power of Words

Have you ever thought about the power of words? A body could get stabbed, shot or wounded physically, a scab would form, eventually fall off and the body is healed. It may leave a scar but not much of one nowadays.

But words; words can wound so deeply that it may take years and years and maybe never to heal. I remember words that my fourth grade teacher wrote in my autograph book that still ring in my head today. The autograph book disappeared when I left my childhood home fifty years ago. Her words weren’t hurtful fortunately.

Even in a lovers’ quarrel where words are hurled at each other without thought, the words remain long after the lovers resolve their difference of opinion. Usually that’s all it is but angry words settle deep inside and stay there.

As a society, we’re careless of the words we use even when they are being broadcasted over the airwaves. Personally I think words spoken are a reflection on the person talking but too often they are remembered as a slur on the person they’re thrown at. Thus leaving a deep scar-less wound.

No comments: