Friday, December 11, 2009

How It Happens

I write lists of things I need to do and when I need to do them, places I need to go in the order I need to go there, items I need to buy, but not before I need to buy them and other tidbits in my life that I don’t want to lose track. Petersburg, Virginia was in the middle of my Places to Go list.

Yet a couple weeks ago I found myself driving to Petersburg to follow up on some research I was doing for a story but had set aside to finish later. The story was second on my list, not the one I was immediately writing. I wound up in the interesting War Between the States Siege Museum which has all to do with, of course, the ten-month siege of Petersburg during that same war.

The research I wanted for this area was on the Revolutionary War period. So how did I come to be here? Once I spotted the sign in front of the building I was drawn in. The stories represented inside told of the stamina and determination of a town and its people. The docent was obviously enjoying the telling and showing.

I somehow fell into conversation with a couple as I was readying to leave. They were also slowly heading for the exit. The subject of ghosts and hauntings popped into our conversation.

The lady had a haunting experience to tell me. The docent overheard us and followed up with a story of her own. Synchronicity. Still at work.

No comments: