Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cards

I love cards. Selecting the perfect card to send, reflecting my personality to the personality of the eventual receiver is a joy. Not every friend of mine would appreciate an Edward Gorey card. But a few of them get it……..the minute they see the image they’ll turn to the back and read the little comment that goes with it.

Some of my friends are lovers of art as I am. Still there are those that I’ll send a card from my box of Monet while others will receive a Van Gogh. Yet others will get a card from my assorted “Woman Reading” box with images from several different artists. The right picture to fit the occasion and the receiver. A-h-h-h.

As I finally tie up my 2009 Christmas cards with a pretty satin ribbon today, I look them over getting pleasure a second time from a card once dispatched. Most cards I can tell who sent it to me without even opening the card just by looking at the image and by knowing my friend well.

They are all treasures to be put away for a time then brought out later to enjoy again, like a love letter but one without the romance. They are reminders of one who lived at a certain time in a certain place in my life. A recorder of events as sure as the log of a ship or the facts of a biography.

No comments: