Friday, February 25, 2011

BOOK PHOTOS


So okay, here’s the deal. I planned to have twenty photos including maps in Major Fraser’s. I had them all arranged, altered from color to black & white, lined up as I wanted them placed in the book. Captions were written and ready. Permissions to publish them were received. But as the Universe commands, plans go awry.

I spent four days trying to upload the photos into the body of the manuscript where I wanted them to be. Success, well almost. As soon as they were placed and I was worn out from the day’s efforts, I closed my laptop…and lost them all. @!&#*

On the third day I began placing map one in the book and put the caption next to it instead of doing all the photos then adding the captions. Easy. The second map was not so easy, but was placed. I started on the photos and havoc broke out. When the captions were placed, the photos moved around on their own volition or at least that is how it seemed. They moved up and down and sometimes just disappeared. When I settled the photo the captions disintegrated. And I had not even gotten to the pixel stuff yet.

It was time for a life threatening choice. Lose the photos or get ulcers. Another hard lesson. In my next book, now approaching the last third of the manuscript, I’ll have a professional photographer handle that end.

1 comment:

Rebecca Dutton said...

Yikes. My heart goes out to you. Just reading this post gives me a stomach ache. Getting help sounds like a good idea.