Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Contentment and Life-After-Life


Many times have I wondered how a person could be content when they chose to live in a small world. Some that I’ve known never lived anywhere else that the neighborhood where they grew up. One man I talked with boasted of never having been outside his state. He said he didn’t need to see anywhere else, all he needed was right in his own state. Another man in particular told me proudly that he never left Bordentown, New Jersey except for his stint in the Army during World War II. He was stationed in nearby Fort Dix. He drove a big Cadillac but never outside the tiny area where he found happiness or at least contentment. As far as I know he never married, either. That may have had something to do with his being able to follow his desires and not weave someone else’s into his own.
My youth quietly judged these people to be of less intelligence than me. In my mind they must be. Not to have the urge to see other parts of the world must be indicative of a lesser mind. As time and experience led me on a path to compassion and understanding, I came to realize that their contentment was just of a different nature than mine. If anything, these people I’d talked to already attained their area of satisfaction whereas I was still searching for mine.
Adding to these deductions is my study into life-after-life. I’ve come to believe that people with shortened lives, as in dying young, and those happy with their limited (as I saw it) lives are not deficient at all. They have worked out their karma from a previous life. In the case of shortened lives I firmly believe they were here to bless us with their presence, to give us something needed, even if it is the experience of loss. Love and tenderness comes out of the pain of sorrow, if nurtured.

No comments: