Monday, September 19, 2005

Boone on the North Carolina Trip

While on this search for a new location to live in North Carolina, I wound up in Boone. This is a delightful old town with a lot of new construction going on. My car just happened to find a parking place on the main street in front of a used book shop. My car is an extension of my personality and knows just where I like to go.

I found out, in talking to the gal while she rang up my sales, that there were seven other used book shops in town. They are no longer in business. How sad, the very shops that helped to make the town successful could not afford the rent after a better main street was attained.

This seems to happen too often these days. Especially in small towns that have restored their original main streets, drawing people of taste who shop at malls as little as possible. The absentee landlords and multi-party investors get greedy and hurt the very person who brought success to their investment. Enjoy.

No comments: