Wednesday, January 10, 2007

August Albo

In thinking about the Strauss Waltz painting, I had to find the artist, which as I noted was August Albo. It surprised me how easily I found that information by just describing the painting. Then I had to go further and find out who this guy is, or was. Now that was a bit more difficult.

He was Estonian, lived from 1880s to 1960s, (unofficial) studied in the Russian Royal Academy, a recognized artist in Moscow, Switzerland, Spain and St. Petersburg with exhibitions in Paris and Berlin. He wound up in New York City. Never did he learn any English but people who commissioned him for portraits, etc. brought their own interpreters. All the background on Albo I found was from internet sites on forums, etc. I didn’t find his name listed on any formal lists of artists. He also painted under other names including Rod Palmer.

What surprised me further was that he did another well-known painting “Free as the Wind” that portrays a herd of wild stallions running before a brewing storm. Their tails and manes are flowing in the wind. Looking into the painting I could feel the wind on my face and the feeling of their freedom, galloping over the plain.
That painting hung in my living room at the same time the Waltz was in my dining room. I never realized the two paintings were by the same artist. Only that both appealed to me in a strong sense.

2 comments:

JackieRose said...

Hello,

I have a painting of August Albo's and I am trying to get it cleared for a film that is being made. Do you have any information as to who is in charge of his estate or holds copyright to his works?

thanks,

Jackie.

JackieRose said...

Hello,

I have a painting of August Albo's and I am trying to get it cleared for a film that is being made. Do you have any information as to who is in charge of his estate or holds copyright to his works?

thanks,

Jackie.