Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Strauss Waltz Painting

It just wasn’t a night for sleeping. After lying in bed with “Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme” running through my head, the “Strauss Waltz” painting by August Albo popped into my head and the Strauss Waltz music replaced Simon & Garfunkle. I guess someone in the great beyond wanted me to remember him. I felt like getting out of bed and dancing around the room. Instead, I slipped out of bed, (not to disturb the girls curled up on either side of my legs,) plucked two chocolate chip cookies from the kitchen cake dish and turned the computer on.

“P S R & T” connected me to the days of when it was played on the radio everyday. That connected me to my dining room where my five-foot long, beautiful walnut classic Italian cabinet held the stereo and radio. Above it the “Strauss Waltz” print set the pace for the many dinner parties I gave in that room.

Remembering that painting makes my heart dance. Gaiety, the beauty of the crystal chandeliers reflecting in the huge mirrors, the pastel ball gowns of the women and formal tails of the men in the romantic period of the late 1800s, send their joy out to anyone who will peer into it. Just look at the painting, see the dancers floating; their images shining on the marble floor. You need little imagination to hear the resultant sounds of Johann Strauss Jr. conducting his orchestra. A lovely sound to carry me to sleep, perhaps to dream pleasant dreams of days long gone.

No comments: