Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Dentist

Does anyone else still have the dread of going to the dentist? I do. I’m fine once I get there. But just the thought that I have to go there, today, unnerves me. There is no fear since the modern tools of dentistry are so refined that pain is obsolete. Maybe it’s having someone’s hand in my mouth. I don’t even like someone putting words in my mouth, let alone their hand. That’s just about the time he’ll ask you a question. I always wonder if the question is sincere, since it’s impossible to answer it. By the time you can answer, he is onto something else.

Waiters do the same thing. They seem to wait until you have a mouthful of food then ask, “Is everything alright? Can I get you anything else?”

Maybe it’s the way a dentist makes me feel like a child, insinuating my gums and teeth aren’t perfect because I haven’t been brushing properly, or only brushing six times a day instead of ten times.
Anyway, the only way to get over it, is to go to it. Get it over with, then wonder why I fussed so much about it.

No comments: