Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Waiting for a Phone Call

One of the worst moments of time wasted is waiting for someone to call. It doesn’t make any difference whether the expected call will be with good news or bad news. It’s the waiting that is awful. It’s nearly impossible to concentrate on something else, or be productive while I’m waiting. That thought just keeps hanging in the back of my mind ‘don’t use the telephone in case the call is trying to come through.’ Of course, that’s the time when I need to use the phone. And I don’t make calls often, only when necessary. I chat with my friends in person or by email, rarely by telephone.

I can wait easily three hours or more to use the bathroom, but when I’m waiting for a phone call……..I gotta go, now. Five minutes later, I gotta go, again. What about a shower? The best way to have the telephone ring is to get into the shower, even better if I am shampooing, too. Another good way to get the telephone to ring is to sit down to a meal. A hot meal works best that way it can get cold while I’m answering the phone.

Even worse is when I’m waiting for that important call, the phone rings, I gulp the mouthful of food or wrap a towel around my soapy body, rush to answer it and it’s a local charity looking for a donation. Egads! No wonder I hate telephones!

No comments: