Sunday, February 11, 2007

Tir Na NOg Restaurant

To celebrate the end of the week with the joy of now having DSL up and running, my two burned out surge protectors replaced with better ones (and understanding this electrical system here, thanks to wonderful, patient Halifax staff) and brother Al on the mend, we made the trip to Raleigh for shopping and lunch.

Since I’m not really a shopper, as soon as we arrived within breathing distance of Raleigh, I talked Al out of going into a busy mall. I picked up a few necessaries at Art’s Art-a-rama, the art supply store that can’t be considered a mall, and thanking the universe for the small things in life, we headed into the Market Place of Raleigh. It was lunchtime.

We cruised the area but found only two restaurants open for lunch on a Saturday. I opted for the Tir Na NOg on Blount Street, a favorite of mine. They have always delighted my out-of-state guests or me when I just dropped in to treat myself.

The menu is overflowing with tempting choices reminiscent of Ireland. It’s difficult to decide which to choose. Today was no exception. Al chose my favorite, Guinness Batter-dipped Atlantic Whitefish with fries, a fresh tartar sauce and a creamy, crunchy cole slaw. It wasn’t easy, but I opted for something different. Beef & Guinness Pie, topped with flaky, tender puff pastry, a slice of bread that brought my visit to Ireland-instantly-to-my-mind. Washing it down with Killian’s Red was another wise choice. We split a dessert of Fried Ice Cream.

The low stone walls on one side that separate the bar from the dining area, the authentic road signs and the murals all add to the charm expected from Irish hospitality. When you go be sure to look up in the foyer area.
If you can arrange it, go when the live music is featured. You can check on their schedules events and hours at: TNNIrishPub.com.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Arlene, it's been a while since I visited your blog. Reading - actually catching up on your posts tonight was a real delight. You sound so happy with your life away from New Jersey and with your new friends and activities. Makes me feel good that you feel so good. Looking forward to your forthcoming visit to Bordentown, which I hear through the grapevine will be in the near future. Best regards. Dick R