Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Conti’s Italian Market

I’ve been looking for a place to buy Italian products since I’ve moved here. Alas, it’s been a nearly three-year struggle, but finally I found Conti’s Italian Market. I arrived at the store just before noon. The aroma caressed my nose the second my foot hit the floor. Ah! An Italian Deli has an aroma that calls you to sunny Italy in an instant. Or Mulberrry Street in New York.

Unexpectedly, I saw that they also serve the food they make, as in homemade Lasagna, Eggplant Parmesan, Spinach Manicotti, Gnocchi and Beef & Veal Cannelloni; all served with the lightest, tastiest meatballs. I had the Lasagna and brought half of it home for supper. The portions are generous, the prices so reasonable. A hearty Masicarelli red wine complimented the food just as it should.

Freshly made antipasto, soups, salads and pizzas are also offered along with Italian sausages, pepperoni, sopressa, marvelous chunks of cheese, olive oils, a variety of vinegars, and too many other goodies that I’ve been unable to find in local food markets.

While I was enjoying my lunch, twenty-five women came in from New Bern! That’s a two-hour trip! They chartered a bus to bring them to the Farmers Market, to Conti’s and then somewhere else to lunch. (Conti’s seating area is too small to accommodate 25 for lunch.)

Conti’s Italian Market at 618 N. Person Street in Raleigh is open Tuesday through Saturday but check for the seasonal hours at: 919-836-8368. Sometimes he’s open on Sundays, too.

No comments: