Friday, September 26, 2008

Finding Stuff

Coming from Bordentown, New Jersey where New York is an hour away and Philadelphia is half that far with multiple large cities in-between, I often wondered why my friends at Shoppe 202 received so many mail orders for Yankee Candles. I know it’s a good candle, the only one I usually burn, but you don’t really have to drive to a particular zip code to find them. They’re offered for sale in so many stores.

Now I understand. Living rurally over an hour north of Raleigh with only tiny towns in between, has given me a new perspective. Besides, even getting to the big city doesn’t mean I’ll find the items I found everywhere in Jersey. Talking with the gals from New Bern (see Conti’s) who traveled two hours to find an Italian Deli let me know I’m not the only person who shops by mail order. With the price of gasoline being so high it makes even more sense to pay the shipping.

I believe this will change in the near future because so many northerners are moving to North Carolina. They’ll want the convenience of buying familiar items locally.

No comments: