Saturday, January 29, 2011

Email Forwarding

I am sure my friends think that they are including me in their joy by sharing a Forward message they received from 49,000 other people before them. All with their email addresses listed. This makes it easy for hackers to gather Spam email lists easily, adding mine to their list.

And I wonder what goes through their minds or if even they read all the way to the bottom of the message where it states: You have ten minutes to forward this message to ten people (or 100, or 1,000.) If you do not forward this message in that time period you will be cast down, given bad luck, walk under a rain cloud, be tortured with nightmares for ten years, etc. You get the picture I am sure.

So out of the goodness of their hearts, thinking they are sending me the good luck to win the lottery, make Cinderella wishes, prayers to protect all my family and friends from disasters, and so on, they are instead condemning me to hell.

I have them all fooled. I no longer open any of those forwards. But I would love a simple "hey, how's it going?" email.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Hi Arlene! I agree with you on forwarding. It's almost as bad as one of those friendly phone calls around dinner time offerring you a cruise for just 5 minutes of you time. I learned very soon after #4 went to college that there is no way that the "mysterious world of email" can track those forward now or else emails. It made it much easier for me just to respond to my friends that don't know any better with a little smiley face. :O)

I hope all is well at the beautiful lake! I sure do miss being there! Too much work in Raleigh.

Peace...
~Becky Hoban