Thursday, January 27, 2011

Late New Year Resolutions

It’s a bit late in the year to be revealing my New Year’s resolutions but here goes: The first and the one that I completed immediately lest I weaken and fail is the reduction of time and work put into volunteering. In short this means my serving on Director’s Boards and committees. I loved what I was doing and the people I was serving with and felt this was a big part of responsibility. But it was taking me away from writing and that is like draining all blood from my body. And who can live without blood?

It isn’t easy to resign from organizations that are important to the area I live in. Feelings of ‘letting people down’ crept over me, sitting on my shoulders and adding weight to my body/mind that I don’t need. But it had to be done. I thought long and hard on the subject, holding the thoughts of serving suspended on a platter like Lady Justice and in the other suspended platter, lay writing counter balancing it. The writing won making my decision necessary.

Still I mourn the loss of these activities as I fight the word ‘guilt’ and knowing that there is always someone to step up and fill that void.

No comments: