Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake at Lake Gaston

The earthquake was really scary. I was on the computer. At first it sounded like the rumble of a heater, but I have electric and no heat on this time of year. I also thought of gas lines blowing up but there are no gas lines out here. No dishwasher was going or washer or dryer. I immediately went to the doorway, the strongest spot in the house, not knowing if that made a difference in a double-wide. The ENTIRE house rumbled and shook! The girls ran under the bed before it even started. I knew it was not a cyclone because it was bright and sunny outside. I thought maybe a great wind but the trees stood perfectly still. Whew! It lasted probably a few minutes. It seemed longer of course. Scary.

When it was over, it was over. Peace and tranquility stood outside my door. The forest was as lovely as usual. Nothing was amiss here along Lake Gaston. But one item had fallen from the bookshelves in the library. H-m-m. It was real.

No comments: