Monday, October 17, 2011

Book Collecting in Warrenton NC

Now that I’m on a fixed income with living costs rising (I remember Mom complaining about this and not paying attention) I have curbed my book collecting to only those I will use in research and of course, Jane Austen related books.

Soon after I arrived in North Carolina, I managed to pull out my credit card for a few at Oakley Hall Antiques. One of the books, a first edition of 1962, “The Way We Were” by Mary Polk was inscribed to Mary Jane from one of the book’s minor characters, Fairfax Polk Mitchell. A treasure, indeed, even though the cost was much higher than the original price. It was still reasonable. I justify this expenditure on my limited budget by telling myself that it’s important to learn the history of where I live.

Believing in continuing self-education, I also bought a 1953 first edition “Southern Accent” by Warrenton native, William T. Polk. Only the dust jacket is a bit worn, the book is in fine condition. A soft cover of “Poems of the Great South” edited by Jim Stratz and Jerry Medina went onto the pile also. Life without poetry is not a good life.

Another book or two finished out the purchase of the day. While Dot was tallying up and zipping my card, we began talking. She filled me in on some western North Carolina history where she was raised, then followed with some local history. From there we talked about books, business, fashion, people and movies. An hour later my head was filled with lots of good stuff, my bag with great treasures and my heart was full. I love shopping in places where the welcome is gracious and the personal touch is used generously.

No comments: