Saturday, October 22, 2011

Collecting Menus

It’s true. I like eating out, not every night and not just out, but in good restaurants. This doesn’t mean expensive, but eating from the hands of chefs that care, that take the time to use fresh ingredients wherever possible and use herbs instead of just adding more salt.

So I’m always trying new spots to add to my favorite places. Yesterday on the spur of the moment, I popped into the car and drove to Raleigh to take a few photos of haunted places that will be featured in my almost-ready-for-the-publisher book. I planned to just zip in, point & shoot and zip out again. Alas! I was denied entrance to the grounds until two hours later.

What to do, now? Well, why not have an early lunch. I headed for one of my favorites when I haven’t researched another restaurant, Vic’s Italian on Blake Street. Missing one parking spot, I drove around the two blocks to get back to it and whoa……….there sat a new place that the not-quite-good German place vacated. I checked a little closer before opening the door to Troy Mezze Lounge.

The walls are painted a quiet red (oxymoron) in the wrapped bar area where the bar stools stand on an angle, tilted a bit outward, which gives a very welcoming appearance. Four lamps hang on long chains over the bar, laced with fancy designed metal that gives off a cozy light. The dining room has a sponged wall that appears to be the same red. The décor is very tasteful and not overly intrusive.

Clay Pot of lamb and fresh vegetables in their own juices, with herbs and topped with just enough cheese are plated with rice or bulgar pilaf and a touch of red cabbage was my delicious choice. Their website is: http://www.troyml.com/index.htm

Jenna tendered me all the attention I needed and gave me a tub to take home half my Clay Pot so I could sample their delicious Figmusi-Samolina Pecan Fig cake topped with mascarpone & fresh strawberry slices. It was a generous slice, so I took half of that for later, too.

No comments: