Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Some Assembly Required

One of the first things to do after un-packing, was set up an office. Upon the sage advice of my good friend Joe, I ordered a decent computer desk from Office Depot. No sense in simplifying things so I also got a file cabinet and a few odds and ends. Now that I’m living in the country they agreed to deliver to my door.

They did. The young, charming tractor-trailer driver brought my stuff and my 170-pound computer desk into the office. The desk was in a box. Now I knew ‘some assembly required’ was on the picture on the website. But I didn’t know ‘all assembly was required.’ They even suggested I count all the pieces to be sure everything I needed was there. I’m not sure I can count as high as the pieces before me.

Some assembly was required with my file cabinet. I screwed the handles on, after they sent them separately of course. They forgot when they sent the cabinet that handles were required also.

I lay all the pieces out flat so the wood wouldn’t curl by the time I got to it. Every day I looked at the pieces and said to my cats. “I can do this. It’s simply a matter of reading and following directions. I can do that.”

After ten days of looking and talking to my cats, I ran into my new neighbors at the gas station-food store. We exchanged pleasantries. Out popped “I may have some little stuff around the house that I am too busy to do. Do you know of any local handymen?”

Bless Joe Caplan and my new neighbors. I now have a great work station.

No comments: