Thursday, August 31, 2006

Digital-Smigital

Happy that my computer has been just humming along, I decided it was time to learn all about how to operate the new camera I absolutely had to have, two months ago. It’s been sitting on my coffee table staring at me, daring me to try my hand at taking digital photos. This is a must for any ebayer.

My ‘old’ digital has been working for only five years. But it uses floppys and my new PC doesn’t. I keep thinking about the cameras of the past that I used for ten or twenty years and were still in fine working condition when I gave them away.

I took a few photos I needed for my pages in the 2007 IWWG Travel Journal that’s being put together via Marilyn Day to celebrate thirty years the Guild has been guiding women writers. Taking the photos was easy. I plugged the camera into my PC that sent a message to my printer. Terrible, unrecognizable black and white photos came out of my printer. Several times. I then scanned the photos that I wanted. Nothing happened there. Blank sheets came out.

My neighbor Lora printed out the color photos for me with her printer.

But that only solved the present problem. I investigated further and found out, via my PC, that my printer and scanner were not compatible with my new computer! This called for another trip to Raleigh to buy a new printer. What good is a writer without a printer?

This time I got lucky. I bought a new printer/scanner combination for less than a hundred dollars. $99 to be exact. I was ecstatic! Of course, then I had to buy a cable $35, back-up ink jets, $31 and of course the two-year service contract for $20. Seems that nothing is simple these days. Enjoy.

No comments: